Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Games of Social Media and How to Win Big

I, for one, totally disagree with the concept that so-called "social media" is some sort of a virtual reality game, played to win something.... what!?  "to make a name for yourself"?  To make sales? Really? To become famous? Really?

Recently I read a big long discussion / debate about which was a better "winning strategy"...   Asking people to RT something.... or not.  And....  Thanking people for RT-ing something..... or not.

My comments on that were:

It's a simple matter of manners.

But, beyond that, just as you had that tinge feeling of gratitude.... it's about recognition. 

When I thank someone for an RT, what I'm really saying is...

"Hey! I noticed that you did that! Even though I may have 8000+ followers, I noticed that YOU did that... and I appreciate YOU!"

No one ever gets tired of being appreciated.

It doesn't clutter anything because, by default, you don't see @ replies to others (unless you follow them too, which is rarely the case).

Being "worthy" is true. But it certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't express gratitude. 

I sincerely thank every follower for any and every thing they do which I'm grateful for.

For me, it's not a success formula.  It's a much higher principal for living than some mechanical rule to try to win some imaginary game.

The Real Success Formula:

ADD VALUE.

IT'S NOT A GAME.

CONSTANTLY BE THINKING ABOUT HOW YOU CAN HELP THE MOST PEOPLE IN THE MOST PROFOUND WAYS POSSIBLE. 

NEVER THINK ABOUT WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU.

BE SINCERE.

EXPRESS GRATITUDE AND APPRECIATION ALWAYS.

TELL YOUR PEEPS YOU LOVE THEM.

My peeps know I love them. 

I do.

And so do you.

In the end......  one day....  you WILL learn.....  that these rules I've written are the ONLY rules that really work.

:)

I love you!

Only Love,

Bruce

Posted via email from Bruce's Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment